Serving as the Associate Director at IISE, Maureen Porter, an anthropologist of education, studies the social construction of “education” and situated learning in culturally-specific communities of practice. Her engaged scholarship in schools, neighborhoods, and community organizations takes place in five priority contexts:
- Developing place-based and culturally-inclusive pedagogies;
- Generating feminist critiques of STE(A)M, educational leadership, and international development programs;
- Sponsoring intercultural and international service-learning, global competence programs, and collaborative exchanges;
- Fostering meaningful intergenerational community rituals; and
- Cultivating best practices in aesthetic education and arts-based research design.